Today's tip is incredibly simple but it's also very effective: To encourage the people who listen to your radio station to download your station's mobile app, make content available exclusively in the app. Then use your airwaves to promote that content.
Interviews offer a great opportunity to do this. In a PPM world, radio stations have shortened or eliminated the interviews they conduct with artists and celebrities. But now we've got a great use for them! Let's say your night jock conducts an interview with Ariana Grande, then edits it down to just the juiciest eight minutes to broadcast on the station's airwaves. Don't throw away the rest of the interview; make it available in your radio station's mobile app for hardcore fans. Then, create a production element to play into our out of Arianna Grande songs that promotes the interview in your mobile app.
You could use this with other station content as well, from recordings of past morning show bits to photos from concerts. You could also include exclusive hints to help people win contests in the mobile app. For example, let's say your radio station is running a listen-for-two-U2-songs-in-a-row-to-win-concert-tickets contest. In the app, tell people exactly when you'll be playing back-to-back U2 songs.
Sit down with your staff and decide which content you want to put on the station's website and which you want to reserve exclusively for the mobile app. You'll also want to create a promotional gameplan that involves a mix of produced elements and live reads. Try it for a month and see if it increases your station's mobile app downloads!
More Digital Tips
- How to Write a Social Media Policy for Your Radio Station
- You're a Radio DJ. You've Lost Your Job. How to Take Control of Your Online Presence.
- How to Run a Weekly Website Meeting for Your Radio Station
- 20 Ways to Use Twitter’s #FollowFriday Meme to Engage Your Radio Station’s Community
- Ask These Two Questions Before Every Radio Station Promotion
Latest posts by Seth Resler (see all)
- Podcasting: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems. Mo' Problems, Mo' Rules. - May 23, 2019
- Jumpstart Your Radio Station's Blog With This Simple Formula - May 17, 2019
- What is the Ideal Length for a Podcast Episode? - May 15, 2019