2015: Episode 6
Jon Miller is a Vice President, Audience Insights at Nielsen and oversees the entirety of Nielsen’s interactions, insights and tools designed for radio programmers and content creators. He’s been with Nielsen for more than a decade working with both radio and local TV clients, and worked in the trenches during the PPM rollout in the late 2000s when he was embedded with one of the industries’ largest broadcasters on behalf of what was then Arbitron.
In this interview, he talks about:
- The impact of the Portable People Meter on radio ratings
- How the Country music format has cooled off, while sports radio is seeing incredible growth
- The new Nielsen SDK technology that will augment panel measurement
- Whether services like Pandora and Spotify will be measured by Nielsen
- The impact of cord-cutting on the television industry, and what it means for radio
- How day-to-day life at Arbitron changed when the company was acquired by Nielsen
- Nielsen’s ability to measure ROI for advertisers
- In 2014, Nielsen had some ratings issues in Los Angeles
- I wrote a column comparing Nielsen ratings to Google Analytics
- The NextRadio app could be measured by PPM or Nielsen’s SDK
- Whether or not podcasts are generating Nielsen ratings
Produced by James Clausen.
Subscribe to the Podcast: