Our annual Techsurvey is the radio broadcasting industry's largest survey, with this year’s 19th annual study seeing participation from 434 radio stations, yielding more than 30,000 surveys from core radio listeners.
This year’s study is a great look at the current media and radio environment, examining listener behaviors and routines that have morphed post-COVID and with technology’s inevitable march.
We will continue to explore the online and offline media habits of radio audiences, including:
- With the in-car rebound, who is working from home, and how are both listening environments impacting radio overall? Radio faces continued competition in the car, and home radios are disappearing. How large is radio’s edge in key listening locations?
- How is AM radio holding up among radio’s biggest fans? And is FM holding its own? Is Apple CarPlay maintaining its steady growth?
- What is the appetite for alternate ways of consuming stations/shows? Are listeners tuning in morning shows in “real time” or moving into on-demand and podcasts? We’ll reveal what listeners told us about their interest in a commercial-free “subscription” to stations and those who would watch video versions of morning shows/stations.
- How can radio best optimize its podcast strategies?
- Are smart speakers back on track? After some “flat” years, are smart speakers ready to break out again? And what does this mean for radio?
- What can we learn about how and why listeners tune to their favorite radio stations? We’ll look at radio’s core strengths and examine the trends to see if there are any new vulnerabilities to address. Are personalities still overshadowing music on the hierarchy of why respondents listen to broadcast radio?
Techsurvey 2023 is presented in partnership with All Access.