In conjunction with the Public Radio Program Directors Association, Public Radio Techsurvey 2021 reveals how Public Radio is positioned in the ongoing digital revolution. In June/July 2021, nearly 23,000 core Public Radio listeners from the email databases of 56 U.S. radio stations participated. This research guides Public Radio stations to better understand the impact change and disruption have on their operations and help them strategically navigate the digital waters to maximize effectiveness, build strategies, communicate to staffs, and set priorities.
PRTS 2021 examines and tracks the online habits of Public Radio audiences, including:
- How COVID is disrupting listenership and device usage
- The impact of the political climate on news consumption
- Smart speakers and the increasing power of voice
- The subscription economy and how video and audio streaming platforms like Netflix and Spotify are changing the equation
- How Public Radio stations can effectively “meet the audience where they are”
- The growth of alternative news platforms – daily news podcast and local newsletters – and what they mean to Public Radio
- Zoom and the explosive rise of virtual video platforms
We encourage you to include your key staff members – management, programming, news, development, digital, social media, and anyone else involved in your station’s content and digital strategy.