In conjunction with the Public Radio Program Directors Association, Public Radio Techsurvey 2022 reveals how Public Radio is positioned in the ongoing digital revolution. In June/July 2022, more than 27,000 core Public Radio listeners from the email databases of 69 U.S. radio stations participated. This research guides Public Radio stations to better understand the impact change and disruption have on their operations and help them strategically navigate the digital waters to maximize effectiveness, build strategies, communicate to staffs, and set priorities.
PRTS 2022 examines and tracks the online habits of Public Radio audiences, including:
- Are we approaching “normal?” Last year’s PRTS study showed public radio very much impacted by COVID, and we will track listeners’ changing behaviors.
- How to navigate the generational shift? New platforms and content portals are emerging. How can (or should) public radio participate, and how does that activity impact new audiences as well as the core?
- How is public radio’s news image and reputation holding up post-COVID? Have news habits demonstrably changed since the Trump years and what impact (if any) is that having on public radio?
- Which streaming audio and video platforms are seeing increased usage among your listeners (and which are falling)?
- Are public radio’s core values shifting, especially among different generations of public radio listeners?
- How will 2022’s mid-term elections impact public radio’s coverage strategy locally?
Download the Slide Deck