This Spring, Facebook began experimenting with allowing users to add a cover video to their Facebook business pages. The feature is now available to all pages. To see an example, check out the Jacobs Media Facebook page.
Adding a video is simple: Navigate to your Facebook page, click the “Change Cover” link in the upper left corner of your cover photo, and choose one of the video options. (You can find more detailed instructions here.)
The optimal dimensions for the video are 820 by 456 pixels, and the video must be at least 820 by 312 pixels. If you are using a video editing program that doesn’t allow you to create a video with custom dimensions — my version of iMovie didn’t — don’t worry, you can drag an oversized video to the optimal position; it just takes some trial and error. (That’s actually the seventh incarnation of our cover video that you see on our page.)
The video must be between 20 and 90 seconds long. For our video, I looped a 9-second video to make it 27 seconds long, then uploaded it.
If you don’t have an experienced video producer on staff, you can always cheat the way I do: Create a Powerpoint slideshow with fancy transitions, export it as movie file, import it into video editing program, and add music and sound effects. You’d be surprised how far a couple of swooshes and a “Ken Burns Effect” can go!
As always, make sure you have the rights to any music or images you use in your cover video. You don’t want to run into any legal issues.
More Digital Tips
- How to Write a Social Media Policy for Your Radio Station
- You’re a Radio DJ. You’ve Lost Your Job. How to Take Control of Your Online Presence.
- How to Run a Weekly Website Meeting for Your Radio Station
- 20 Ways to Use Twitter’s #FollowFriday Meme to Engage Your Radio Station’s Community
- Ask These Two Questions Before Every Radio Station Promotion
Latest posts by Seth Resler (see all)
- Worldwide Radio Summit Podcast: Greg Strassell of Hubbard Radio - October 18, 2017
- 7 Common Mistakes Radio Stations Make With Their Email Marketing - October 13, 2017
- Worldwide Radio Summit Podcast: Talent Coach and Author Valerie Geller - October 11, 2017